Upland Oral Cancer Sceening - Dr. Maher Barsoum - Vizilite Plus
Oral cancer kills one person every hour in the U.S., and this doesn't come close to the number who are physically debilitated.
Although tobacco and alcohol are the largest risk factors, this occurs often in those with no risk factors at all. You can't afford not to be checked. Oral cancer is one of the most curable diseases when it's caught early.
Dr. Maher Barsoum perform a visual oral cancer screening included in all dental examinations. He uses the Vizilite test if a guest has a family history of cancer or if he finds any suspicious tissue in the mouth.
An annual ViziLite Plus exam, in combination with a regular visual examination, provides a comprehensive oral screening procedure for patients at increased risk for oral cancer. The ViziLite Plus exam is painless and fast, and could help save your life.
About Oral Cancer
Most people are surprised to learn that one American dies every hour from oral cancer; a death rate that has remained virtually unchanged for more than 40 years. In fact, recent statistics published by the American Cancer Society indicate that while the incidence and death rates for cancers overall has decreased, the incidence of oral cancer has increased by 5.5% and the death rate has increased by 1.5%
Oral cancer is far too often discovered in late stage development, the primary reason for the consistently high death rate. Oral cancer treatment often results in disfiguring effects on patients, and can seriously compromise their quality of life. Early detection and diagnosis can make a tremendous difference in life expectancy; oral cancer is 90% curable when found in its early stages. Unfortunately, 70% of oral cancers are diagnosed in the late stages, III and IV, leading to a five-year survival rate of 57%.
- Every hour of every day, one American dies of oral cancer.
- The mortality rate associated with oral cancer has not improved significantly in the last 40 years.
- The death rate in the United States for oral cancer is higher than that of cervical cancer, Hodgkin's disease, cancer of the brain, liver, testes, kidney, or ovary.
- More than 30,000 Americans will receive an oral cancer diagnosis this year. In five years, only 57% will still be alive.
- 27% of oral cancer victims do not use tobacco or alcohol and have no other lifestyle risk factors.
For more information about ViziLite Plus and the ViziLite Plus examination, click here to view an informative ViziLite Plus video segment. (A high speed internet connection and Windows Media Player 10 is recommended to view the video. Download Windows Media Player 10)
The ViziLite Plus exam will help Dr. Maher Barsoum identify abnormal tissue, that might develop into oral cancer.
How ViziLite Plus Works
As with most serious diseases, early detection is the key to successful outcomes. Unfortunately, the problem with oral cancer is that approximately 70% of the time it is not visible to the dental professional until it has reached an advanced stage. ViziLite Plus technology will assist Dr. Barsoum in seeing abnormal tissue in the mouth, before it is plainly obvious.
As ViziLite Plus passes over oral tissue that has been treated with the rinse solution, normal healthy tissue will absorb the light and appear dark, abnormal tissue will appear white. The purpose of using ViziLite Plus is to identify tissue changes at their earliest stage; once abnormal tissue has been identified it is up to your dental professional to determine what the appropriate next steps are.
Benefits and Expectations
- When oral cancer is found at the earliest stage, treatment is quicker, simpler, less involved, and more then 90% successful! When oral cancer is diagnosed in late stage, treatment is expensive, disfiguring and has a poor survival rate.
- ViziLite Plus is a technology used by your Dr. Maher Barsoum to assist in the early detection of abnormal tissue in your mouth.
- ViziLite Plus helps Dr. Barsoum see abnormal tissue that is not visible during a regular exam.
- At the conclusion of a ViziLite Plus exam, following a standard visual exam, you can be confident you have received the most comprehensive oral cancer screening available.
If you have any questions about Oral Cancer screening, please contact Dr. Maher Barsoum in his Chino or Upland office or make an appointment on-line!